Active listening tactics
- Focus on and remember: Details like name, department, issue, etc. Chances are we remember a lot less than we think we do
- Inquire: Ask non-judgmental open ended questions
- Reflect: Reflect back on what has been said by paraphrasing. "What I'm hearing is...," and "Sounds like you are saying...", are great ways to verify if you got it.
- Clarify: Ask questions to clarify certain points. "Help me understand, what do you mean when you say....?" "Would you expand on that?” “Can you say more about that?”
- Summarize: Summarize the speaker's comments periodically
- Ask permission to give your point of view: “Is it okay if I share my thoughts as well?” “I see things a little differently, is it alright if we talk about…?”